|Thirteen Things about MISSMELISS
13 Things that Begin With Q
- Q: One of the most delightful characters in science fiction. I refer here to the Q from Star Trek not from Bond, as played by John de Lancie. Pure mischief.
“Will you walk a little faster?” said a whiting to a snail.
“There’s a porpoise close behind us, and he’s treading on my tail.
See how eagerly the lobsters and the turtles all advance!
They are waiting on the shingle – will you come and join the dance?
Will you, won’t you, will you, won’t you, will you join the dance?
Will you, won’t you, will you, won’t you, won’t you join the dance?
— Lewis Carroll
Quail: My mother had two pewter quail on the table or the window sill as long as I can remember. Now they’re mine. Quail and pheasant are the same bird, by the way.
Quake: I lived in California long enough to become jaded by earthquakes. After you’ve been through a few they are no longer alarming, and you only wake up long enough to identify the reason the room is shaking. “Are we being attacked?” “No. It’s just an earthquake.” “Oh, okay.”
- Quartet: I’ve played in string quartets but I much prefer to listen to professionals. My favorites are the Guarneri quartet, and a group called Bond.
- Quartz: When I was five finding a lump of translucent white “quartz crystal” was really cool. The word brings back memories.
- Quay: Like “strand” it’s one of those beachy, shippy words that are just romantic to me.
- Questions: If you don’t ask questions, you can’t learn anything.
- Quiet: There are times when I desperately need, not silence, but quiet. Silence is the absence of sound, but quiet is just the muffling of it, so it’s softer and more peaceful.
Quills: Whether it’s a stray sea gull feather worked into art, or an actual quill pen, I have a thing for quills. They’re just so magical.
Quilts: I’m still learning how to quilt, but that doesn’t diminish my appreciation for the art one iota. I love the way they’re colorful, and I love the lore associated with them – how certain kinds were used to signal stops on the underground railroad, for example. Fiber arts are so much more than just “things.”
- Quiz: A quiz is somehow less daunting than a test. It’s such a feisty little word, too. Plus, major points in Scrabble.
- Quotations: I’m fine with using my own words, but sometimes borrowing someone else’s (as above) are a better way to make a point.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants