|Thirteen Things about MissMeliss
Things that Begin with P
- Paper – fine stationery, drawing paper, those old Big Chief newsprint tablets, or even spiral notebooks, I’m happy with pretty much any kind of paper. There’s something so intimate about the act of writing something by hand.
- Paretsky, Sara – creator of V.I. Warshawski, and generally interesting person, also created the “comfort foods begin with ‘p’ ” theory.
- Paris – I have a special affinity for the City of Light. I want to spend next May writing in Paris. I wasn’t born there, but I should have been.
- Parks – cities need parks, and I like spending time in interesting parks. Various arboretums and botanical gardens are nice, and the little park in my neighborhood is great despite the lack of swings, but my favorite parks are the postage stamp kind that are just tucked unexpectedly into neighborhoods. Urban treasures.
- Pedicures – everything is better when you have pretty toes. I love the whole process of the pedicure, from picking a polish color to soaking my dainty feet in frothy bubbly hot water, to having a foot massage. It’s sheer bliss.
- Pens – I am a pen snob. My favorite every-day pens have black or peacock blue ink, a micro-fine roller ball point, and a slim body, because I have small hands. I also like fountain pens, and calligraphy pens. Pencils, in my house, are generally used to pin up hair. I prefer ink.
- Pets – I’ve loved animals as long as I can remember, and to me, a house isn’t complete without a couple furry creatures wandering around. My dogs, Zorro Dogg and Miss Cleo, are my constant companions and offer entertainment, comfort, and unconditional love. Also, they force me to exercise. At other times I’ve had lizards, birds, and fish. And a cat or two, but they make me sneeze.
- Pillows – there is no such thing as too many pillows. I like to be surrounded by them, especially when Fuzzy isn’t home. I do a lot of writing in bed – I am most creative when I am comfortable, so bed, the bath, and the shower are where my mind is most free – and that means tons of pillows. I have five. Fuzzy uses one. Zorro likes pillows, as well, and if there’s one lying on the foot of the bed, or on the couch, you will find a chihuahua-shaped depression in the center, if not a chihuahua himself.
- Pink – after much of a lifetime of detesting pink, I’ve embraced it over the last couple years. It’s a happy, feisty, fun color. I still love red, mind you, but pink makes me smile. Also, I use pink pens whenever I have cause to be writing near other people, because they’re less likely to be stolen.
- Pistachios – salted or not, natural, or dyed red or green, these are my favorite nuts ever. Sweet, crunchy, and oh, so addictive.
Pizzarelli, John – he’s a jazz guitarist, and his music is AMAZING.
- Play – whether it’s playing an instrument, playing on stage, playing all the parts of a story in my head, or playing with sounds while vocalizing, the operative word here is play. Chick Corea and Bobby McFerrin recorded an album called PLAY many years ago, and it’s just amazing hearing the musical give and take of two musicians who are completely comfortable with their inner children.
- Porches – My house doesn’t have a front porch, and really, that’s the one thing I don’t like about it. I keep meaning to talk to Fuzzy about making a front patio in front of the arched dining room window, but we haven’t gotten to it yet. Anyway, porches are a really important thing to me – they represent sweet summer afternoons, and peace, and comfort.
Mine is up at: 13 Bloomers
I love fountain pens! and I have two calligraphy pens.
Using pink pens to avoid them to get “lost” is a great idea!!
Paper, Pens, Parks, and Play are all things that go together for me. I love writing by hand somewhere while I can watch people walk and play and wonder what characters they’ll bring out in my head.
Pink…I have yet to embrace. But Purple’s always good. :D
my very first 13 is up !
wow this is the best P list. So many wonderful things. At least 11 of them that I also adore!
Love love love pedicures!
Great list! Enjoyed your post!
I added either an “s” or an “is” to the subject in #6 and giggled…yes, I’m 12 ;-)
Of course, I love pens, too, and porches and Paris and pets and parks and and paper and pedicures!
Great TT. I am a pen snob too. I do crosswords in pen, not pencil even though I mess up. Now I have to go buy some pistachios, yum!
Thanks for visiting.
I’ve got a couple of fountain pens and they’re nice, but I prefer roller balls, I’ve found. I love the way the ink comes out.
And I have small hands, too, but I’ve found that fat pens fit me better. Good thing they make all sorts, huh?
I love pens, too. I have way too many of them, but I snap them up whenever I can.
I love fountain pens — I have several reasonably good ones, but at the moment I do most of my writing with disposable fountain pens — from Pilot, they are “Varsity” and cost a couple of bucks a piece, and last for a good while. They make me happy!
Michele sent me,
That’s odd – I too am a “pen snob,” although I never thought of it that way. I don’t have any problem spending big bucks for a good pen.
Michele sent me,
Thank you for stopping by my blog. We have a lot in common..I am such a paper lover–notepads, notecards,notebooks, any of it..oh, and pens–I can become obsessed with them, having to have certain ones for certain things…and I HAVE to have my toenails painted–makes me feel girly..and I love jazz, but I am more into Harry Connick, Jr, Billie Holiday, and Louis Armstrong…Have a great weekend.