I have to confess: I was working on a completely different Thursday 13 list for today, but it’s still in draft form, and not quite ready, and this morning at the dentist, while reading political posts on Facebook and HuffPo and Jezebel, I was thinking about my mother.
Last month, she wrote a birthday letter to me in her blog, and it made me cry, but over the years she’s also been a source of sage advice, and I thought I’d share some.
- Stand up for yourself, and for the things you believe in. If you don’t, who will?
- It’s okay – and even healthy – to think of yourself first from time to time.
- Never underestimate the simple pleasure of a bubble bath.
- Thank-you notes and good hygiene never go out of style.
- Happy feet = a happy heart.
- Trust your body, and trust your instincts about your body.
- Every woman – indeed, every person – should live on their own for at least a year before getting married.
- They should also travel.
- And have at least one truly-tragic love affair.
- You do not have to marry the first person you sleep with.
- Pretty underwear can lift your mood. If it matches your outfit, even better.
- When moving house, unpack the kitchen first, and get it set up completely.
- Coffee, chocolate, and a good book can save your sanity.
Quick, give me a tissue!
Susan Fogel recently posted..Blowin’ in the Wind: My Patio Furniture!
Thanks for passing on your mom’s words of wisdom for all of us to cherish!
You have a *very* wise mom.
Your mom is a gem! I’m going to check her blog out.
This morning I woke up thinking ‘how am I going to throw together a 13 Thursday” with only about four ready. But after six years of doing them I can almost do them with my eyes closed and had to trust that and wait for the stream of consciousness to roll.
I’m happy your back to blogging. So many have given it up.
One and thirteen are my favorites. Thanks for sharing your mother’ s wisdom.
Superb advice :) Your mother is very wise.
Becca recently posted..Write On Wednesday: Editor at Large
What a thoroughly modern well-balanced head on her shoulders, your mom.
Pearl recently posted..Cooking up a Storm